<IRMS mini-Study Team Meeting #9 >

Date: Tues, Jan 03, 2012
Time: 9-9:30am PDT
Location: Various

Participation (update as appropriate)

Attending: N. Konidaris, B. Weber, R. Dekany
Unavailable: K. Matthews


  • 888-387-8686
  • Conference participant ID: 746-0475

Agenda (tentative)

  • 0900 - 0910 MOSFIRE update - Bob
  • 0910 - 0930 Review of IRMS status - Rich
    • Priorities for next couple of months
    • Action items


  • The new MOSFIRE bearing was tested at the worst-case gravity orientation before Christmas and appears to work
    • Add'l testing to be done this week; on schedule for shipping in the Feb 8 - 16 window, depending on boat schedule
  • Continued need to deliver MOSFIRE continues to impact IRMS study progress
    • December progress additionally slowed by long holiday
  • Key areas for IRMS in next couple of months
    • Refinement of IRMS requirements document
    • Development of IRMS CoDD - led by Bahram
    • Development of IRMS OIWFS requirements - requires TMT AO support for PSF / sensitivity models
      • The largest uncertainty in the entire study seems to be whether the patrol range for a OIWFS exterior to the vacuum vessel provides sufficient sky coverage without blocking the spectrographic field (because it would be rather far from the focus).
      • Notes from the last meeting minutes:
        • We discussed the basic architectural options for the OIWFS
          • Strategy is to evaluate the performance vs. sky coverage for a 'one-side', no-incursion, external-to-the-dewar patrolling sensor (similar to IRIS OIWFS), and then address any performance shortfall if necessary
          • Possible avenues for larger sky coverage if needed:
            • Allow some incursion into spectroscopic FoV (probably diminishing gains because an external patroller is so far from focal plane)
            • 'Two-sided' dual OIWFS to patrol each side without incursion
          • Focus sensing strategy may impact performance as well (e.g. 2x2 SH WFS v. pyramid v. separate (slower) focus sensor(s))
    • Refinement of IRMS cost estimate using best estimate of MOSFIRE as-built costs


  • Rich
    • Contact Brent at TMT to initiate discussion of OIWFS performance model
    • Contact Sean and Ian to consolidate non-CIT MOSFIRE costs
    • Update IRMS mini-study schedule to reflect MOSFIRE and other delays * Discuss timing of interim review with Luc (targeting May 2012 now)
  • Bob
    • Consolidate CIT MOSFIRE cost summary, including sort of trail of shop charges
  • All
    • Finish MOSFIRE!

Meeting schedule

  • The next IRMS team meeting will be announced pending MOSFIRE and other progress.
Edit | Attach | Watch | Print version | History: r2 < r1 | Backlinks | Raw View | Raw edit | More topic actions
Topic revision: r2 - 2012-01-17 - RichardDekany
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by PerlCopyright © 2008-2021 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback