<IRMS mini-Study Team Meeting #6 - Optical Design mini-Review >

Date: Tues, Nov 1, 2011
Time: 9-9:30am PDT
Location: Caltech, Cahill room 126

Participation (tentative)

Call-in: Dekany


  • 888-387-8686
  • Conference participant ID: 746-0475


  • 0900 - 0910 Optical design review summary - Rich
  • 0910 - 0920 CAD model situation - Rich / Bob
  • 0920 - 0930 Other business - All


  • The optical design review went well
    • Minutes and actions are available [[111019_Team_Meeting_5][here]. Nick is traveling this week, so no update on responses to the action items yet.
  • Mechanical stall
    • We still have not worked out the issue with obtaining the detailed NFIRAOS solid model for IRMS interface work from HIA
      • Rich is too busy to track this, so Bob has agreed to re-engage Luc on how to proceed (note, we previously decided to pursue the IRMS OIWFS design independently, due to IP issues with NRC)
    • Given MOSFIRE load, this is fully stopping us, but needs full resolution by the New Year.
  • OIWFS internal/external decision
    • Given the significant perceived cost savings and ease of implementation, the baseline design choice is an external OIWFS for IRMS
      • We will evaluate the sky coverage / performance / and costs under this assumption (and relative to the (forthcoming) requirements document)
      • We will then iterate with Bahram and the science team to understand the suitability of the estimated performance for IRMS
  • Costing exercise
    • Bob has a record of all MOSFIRE costs at Caltech going back to pre-history, but will need time to organize costs to align with the WBS
    • CARA costs include rotator module, perhaps cost of CMM at UCLA
    • UCLA costs include lens mounting, detector heads, software (but software reuse may not be an option for IRMS depending on TMT software environment)
      • For all partners, we will have to estimate the effect of partner subsidies to the effort to get a realistic picture of likely IRMS full cost.
    • Keith points out we should figure out the NRE that won't be needed again for IRMS, particularly where designs were revised during the process
  • MOSFIRE continues to pull on IRMS study staff
    • MOSFIRE to be warming over Thanksgiving; new bearing arrives 12/9
    • There was an anomaly on CCR-3, a MOSFIRE detector head cooler, which requires additional time from Bob this week.
  • Rich expressed curiosity regarding Bahram's progress on the science case document, which was expected around the time of the optical design review
    • In order for the science team to get organized for their contributions to the OCDD, it seems to Rich important to complete the science case document deliberately

*Meeting schedule change (NOTE!)

  • Due to travel and other issues, the next IRMS Team Meeting (#7) will be Friday, Nov 12 at 9a PDT.
  • The previously scheduled TM's on 11/8 and 11/15 are hereby canceled.

Outstanding Actions

  • Rich to work with TMTO (Brent) to assess suitability of external OIWFS in terms of sky coverage and performance (by Dec 2)
  • Rich to contact WMKO (Sean) to request Keck's view of the total MOSFIRE costs (by Dec 10)
  • Rich to contact UCLA (Ian) to request UCLA detail MOSFIRE cost breakdown (by Dec 10)
  • Rich will contact Bahram for an update on the science team activities (by Nov 8)

This topic: TMT/IRMS > WebHome > IrmsTeamMeetings > 111101_Team_Meeting_6
Topic revision: r1 - 2011-11-01 - RichardDekany
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by PerlCopyright © 2008-2021 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback